Tuesday, January 4, 2011

An epic of epic epicness.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy)So, the title of this blog actually came of a promo movie poster for the film. I knew the premise of the movie and have seen other films with Michael Cera, so I figured out "why not?"

The first films with Michael Cera to come to mind are: Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist, Juno, and Superbad. The first of the three being the one I enjoy the most.

I have not heard much about the movie prior to watching it. It is adapted from a  comic book or graphic novel about a guy who fights his girlfriends ex-boyfriends, I believed.

My synopsis: Recovering from a break-up, Scott Pilgrim is a mess. While dating a much younger girl, he meets and falls in love with Ramona. Unknowingly, Scott must fight (Mortal Kombat or Streetfighter video-game style) her seven evil exes to win her heart (and the game?).

Highs: Two things that I absolutely enjoyed about the film was the soundtrack and the style of the film. Being part of a band, Sex Bob-omb, Scott rocked it with his friends much like you would expect in an early-90s Seattle instead of the Canadian version. I know the film was adapted from a graphic novel, but I could not help but feel that I was stuck inside of a video game that was a mix of a fighting game and some sort of role-playing game. The graphics and special effects of the movie definitely led you into that feeling. The story-line was definitely linear, but there were plenty of surprises. I won't spoil those for you. The band battles are awesome!

One thing that this movie brought to mind is how Michael Cera is always getting caught up with a partner or girl with baggage. In Juno there is a pregnancy and here it is the Evil Exes. 

Lows: I'm at a loss for this one right now. It has been a few days since I have watched the film. Maybe the lack of a sequel could be a low point?

Final thoughts: Take a look at this one. I was certainly surprised and the geek in me was certainly satisfied!

No comments:

Post a Comment